Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mark Fairall's Patriotic Family Heroes for July 4, 2013



THE PATRIOTIC HEROES IN MY LIFE

Published in Yahoo News 07/02/13

Now that it is the Fourth of July it is time to reflect and give thanks for the Patriotic Heroes in my life. I believe a Patriotic Hero is someone who loves and serves America at no matter the risk or the cost. These individuals have made a great difference in my life and they were made from the “Right Stuff” which has made this Nation great. My Patriotic Heroes showed their valor in battlefield, in the hospital, in Politics, and in everyday life.

My first Patriotic Hero would be my father, W.R. “Bud” Fairall. He fought in WWII and he was an Army forward spotter at the Battle of the Bulge. He was with the first troops the liberated Dachau and he was a guard at the Nuremburg Trials. After the war he became a successful banker. His efforts improved Kingman’s economy, oversaw the building of the Kingman hospital, and he worked on many community volunteer activities.

My second Patriotic Hero would be my mother, Evangeline Bakke Fairall. My mother was and Army Nurse during WWII. She cared for the first injured troops from D-Day. The book NO TIME FOR FEAR highlights my mother’s caring for the German Prisoners of war. She later work for Mohave County and cared for the Native Americans that could not get hospital medical help.

My third Patriotic Hero would be Barry Goldwater. Senator Goldwater was a personal friend of our family and spoke at my High School Graduation in 1967. Senator Goldwater always spoke the truth and that is probably what lost his presidential election. Senator Goldwater saved this nation from the disgrace of a Presidential Impeachment by convincing President Nixon to resign.

My fourth Patriotic Hero would be Carl Hayden. I use to study in the ASU library and Senator Hayden took the time to often visit with me. I was amazed at someone of his stature would bother with me an 18-year old nobody. His Arizona accomplishments made this state and this state would not have the water that made Arizona grow without his efforts. He use to tell me that water was the “Blood” that transformed our dessert into the great state of Arizona.


My fifth Patriotic Hero would be my wife, Carol Ann Fairall. She is dying of her transplanted liver rejection caused by a slumlord who refused to fix a toxic moldy sink. Carol volunteers at church, works a transplant mentor, and fights elder abuse. I have seen Carol get out of her deathbed to give many elder abuse prevention presentations. Her goal is the educate as many seniors as possible to protect them from being a victim of elder abuse.

Carol received a letter from the US Department of Health and Human Services complimenting her on her community efforts. She also received a “Well Wishing” letter from President and Mrs. Obama sending her prayers for her illness. After her presentations to offices of Senator John McCain, Senator Jeff Flake, and the US Senate’s Special Committee on Aging she will have the opportunity this fall to speak before the US Congress about the growing problem of elder abuse and senior financial exploitation. Her goal is to get the Elder Justice Act funded so more money would be available to fight elder abuse.

This Fourth of July we need to thank all our Patriotic Heroes who have served our country with such valor and love. I am blessed to have had so many Patriotic Heroes in my life.

A big THANK YOU to all of them!

Mark R. Fairall

Sun City West, AZ 85375

No comments:

Post a Comment